Re: Isolation transformer on eBay

Original poster: "Luc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ludev-at-videotron.ca>

Hi Pete

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Pete Komen by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<pkomen-at-zianet-dot-com>

> Luc,
>
> One not of caution on that Elcor Isoformer.  I was running with my TC with
> my little switch box plugged into the Isoformer and my NST plugged into the
> switch box.  I noticed a electrical tingle from the switch box.  (I had been
> running with another isolation transformer with variac that I have built
> into a box but the 9 amp breaker kept going off.)  I measured the voltage to
> ground, case of the Isoformer to the switch box, using the meter probe to
> depress the pushbutton. Measured around 600 volts to ground.  Turns out that
> the outlet ground in the Isoformer is connected to a wire that goes into the
> secondary, but nowhere else.

Very strange !

 I am not sure what to think about that.  I now
> have the outlet ground grounded to the mains ground.  On the other hand, I
> may have the ideal break between RF ground and mains ground.  If the outlet
> ground is wired to something in the secondary and that ground was wired to
> RF ground (somewhere near the NST), the entire NST, ground and all, would be
> isolated from the mains.  I may try that with an MOV across the NST power
> lines and an MOV from each line to RF ground.

Exactly like cheap computer surge protection.

> I haven't liked the RF ground of the NST before, but with this idea, I'll
> try it.

It could work for sure but use big MOV; from my experience
sometime kick are powerful.

> Regards,
>
> Pete

I decide not to buy it it's not enough powerful only 9 A it will
be only an other unused piece of equipment ;-((

Cheers,

Luc Benard

Snip