Re: coil discharge color

Original poster: "Michael Rhodes by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rhodes-at-fnrf.science.cmu.ac.th>

The x-ray 'coil' or storage device is probably a saturable
core transformer, but definitely not a TC.  A saturable core
transformer and if resonant can store a hugh amount of
energy in it that when shorted into a pulse transformer will
produce large pulses.

There are two general classes of x-ray systems.  One for
medical diagnostic purposes (such as used for producing x-ray
films) - also this class is used in baggage checks and material x-ray,
and the 2nd is for radiation treatment therapy.
The first generally uses x-ray tubes operating CW with
anywhere from 50kV to a several hundred kV.  The higher
the energy the shorter the wavelength and the higher the
resolution and penetration power.  The very high power CW
type  are often used for x-raying shipping containers or
similar large items.  The 2nd class is usually RF linear accelerators.

I'm a project manager for converting and redesigning a
medical x-ray linac (linear accelerator) used in
radiation treatment therapy to a nuclear physics research accelerator
in developing a free electron laser.  This machine
uses a PFN (pulse forming network) and a thryatron as a
pulse modulator for a Klystron.  The system is resonant
at 2.856GHz with a minimum pulse power of 5 Megawatts.
The thyratron can produce pulses (up to 200pps) at 25,000V
at 1500 Amps which is over 30 Megawatts!  The output
energy of the linac is 20 million electron volts at up to
200mA.

I gave a seminar recently on the system and have been
asked to teach a graduate course in linac theory.  You
can see the Power Point presentation if you are interested
at www.fnrf.science.cmu.ac.th under the 'future' menu.