Re: VTTC

Original poster: "Dr. Duncan Cadd by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dunckx-at-freeuk-dot-com>

Hi Richard, All!

>My first coil I built in 1957
>using a 807 and I guess it worked ok it gave me 1 to 2" brush sparks.
I am now
>restoring it the mice and time were hard on it.

Not to worry, the only way to destroy an 807 is use a hammer ;-)

>In the 60's I collected parts
>for building a coil using an 833a , sg coil etc. Now I would like to
put things
>together and have some working coils.

John Freau on this list has built one or more 833a or 833c coils.
They work!

>I have a thermall 8b1 rf unit. It uses 866-A s for rec.

Yummy!  Pretty blue glow and bzzzzzzzzzz . . .

>and a pair of 592/3-200A in parallel for outputs and 1kw. It
>would make a great looking base (platform) for a tc.

I don't know this particular bottle, but if two are good for a kW
steady state, then pulsed might be very interesting indeed.

>Who could help me with a
>tank and sec. for it and is it practical to use these tubes of which
I have
>many spares.

Not a problem - these sound ideal!  Ross Overstreet, Dave Trimmell,
Herwig Roscher and John Freau have schematics tucked away somewhere,
to name but four on this list who have built big VTTCs (apologies to
those I have omitted!)  My VTTC is only a tiny one (50W max) and I
can't recommend you copy that circuit for high power valves, but FWIW
purely for interest's sake:

http://home.freeuk-dot-net/dunckx/wireless/qdvttc/qdvttc.html

This would certainly be OK for an 807, but I have resisted the
temptation (so far!) to try it with 813s.  I'd be equally interested
to know what circuit you used with your 807 to get 2 inch output and I
know at least one other person shares my curiosity.

Dunckx
Geek #1113 G3