Re: MOT Ideas...

Original poster: "tesla by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-paradise-dot-net.nz>

Hi Mark

As I understand it saturation can occur in an inductor when the number of
Ampere * Turns that the core can reacvhes a level where all of the iron
domains are fully magnetized, ie the magnetic field in the iron will not
increase. This occurs in both transformers and basllast inductors.

The voltage itself from adding secondaries in series does not make the
system saturate. Stauration is determined by the current, whether a core
will saturate also depends on the presence of an air gap in the path, this
lowers the overall inductance but permits more current to flow before the
system satuatates.

I understand ballasting to be  current limiter by placing an impedance in
series with the primary rather than a ballast to a given power.

All in all you will not saturate your MOTS if you limit the primary current
to the same value that is requred when they deliver their full rated power
O/P. In tesla service it is very easy to exceed this figure and I'm pretty
sure that a given MOT has very little margin between saturation and full
power operation (zillions made , over engineering =$$$)

I've been told that even at full power MOT's are beginning to saturate at
the peak of their AC I/P waveform. *(not that this need be of particular
concern)

Hope I've understood your question correctly
Rgsd
Ted L in NZ