Re: Top-load-less TC

Bart, Al, all,

Are you sure that Al is using proper power input for his spark length?
I thought he said he removed the shunts or something.  He may be
using a lot more power than expected?   I wouldn't be surprised if he's
using 7000 watts or 7000 VA.   For toroid-less coils, it's possible that

     spark length (inches) = sqrt power input

may be a suitable formula.  At least that's what I found using low
powered tests.  I don't know if things will change at higher powers.

I suspect that Al's coil is giving normal spark lengths for a toroid-less
coil, and is not benefiting from the addition of a toroid for some reason,
(such as quench failure, or a too-small toroid, etc.)  I didn't seem to
notice any overall toroid size (major diameter) mentioned in Al's recent
posting  ?

Cheers,
John Freau