pig lightning strike

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi Everyone.

These kinds of things are interesting to most coilers I know, thought I'd
mention it.

Last night, I watched a storm system move by from NW to SE. There was the
typical gust front (cold wind, straight-line winds, shelf cloud), then super
heavy rain, then the severe part of the storm.

The lightning had mostly past, but I was looking down the street, directly at
the place where the lightning struck. I had just enough time to put my hands
over my ears and turn around. It was a massive, massive strike. Not your
typical bolt.....it was very powerful. I've seen close lightning before, this
one was different.

I immediately looked up after the main clap of thunder hit, and there was a
fairly massive, rolling, mushroom shaped ball of fire rising where the arc
hit. I drove to the end of the street, and found the pig burning brightly on
it's perch. Hot oil pouring everywhere. The top was completely blown off, and
the main metal cylinder was very bent out of shape.

So I drove down to Reliant Energy's place up the road, and they followed me
to the location. They had power back up on my street within 20 minutes. Not
bad!

My main point is this: No matter how over-designed a pole transformer or
commercial power product may be, nothing will survive a direct hit from those
giant natural capacitors. So much power. As a tesla coiler seeking those
illusive big arcs, I was awestruck for several moments after it happened.

Take care,

Justin Hays
KC5PNP
Email: pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com