From: John H. Couture [mailto:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2001 8:25 PM
To: Tesla list
Subject: RE: FW: Updated JHCTES Ver 3.3

-----Original Message-----
From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2001 6:50 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi John,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

> Bart -

----------------  snip

Measurement is the best method, and ETesla6 is next. Question John: If we
use Actual measured values for Top
C, will JHCTES assume this is an isolated sphere and reduce accordingly? I
don't think so, but just want to be
clear on this.

-----------------

The actual Top C capacitance cannot be measured directly when on the
secondary coil. It can only be calculated from other known TC parameters
including the pri turns. For example

     Ctop = (LpCp/Ls)-Ccoil

You can measure Lp, Cp, and Ls. You can find Lp when you know the pri turns
by testing the coil. Solving for the sec term cap Ctop is then
 a simple calculation.

The JHCTES does not assume any value for the sec term cap because this is an
input that the designer must estimate and enter into the program. He
estimates this value by several methods including ETesla6. By adjusting the
sec term cap input in the program the designer can obtain the actual test
pri turns in the output. The sec term cap value is then the actual value for
this TC when it is operating properly.

As a check on your calcs you should also test for the operating frequency
and then find the Ctop using the frequency equation.

     Ctop = (1/6.283 x F^2Ls)- Ccoil

The Ctop should be the same or very close for both equations. If there is a
large difference you have done something wrong.

You should also use more than one test to verify the operating frequency
which can be difficult when the coil is operating. This brings up that other
question about TC operation that advanced coilers ignore and that is the
mysterious R in the frequency equation. Any comments?

I will be interested in your conical primary coil calcs. If you send me the
details of the coil I will show you how I do the calculations using the
JHCTES program.

John Couture