Re: Top-load-less TC/More specs.

Original poster: "albert hassick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <uncadoc-at-juno-dot-com>

Hi Tom, Malcolm, Bart, All.  Ok, I tried the coil with many types of
large toploads.  The very largest was a set of four 10" stove pipe elbows
and used a cut down table lamp wire top and modified lamp harp to suspend
the toriod onto the stud with a 1/4-20 nut and fender washers, and to
attach it directly atop the 1/4-20 steel stud protruding from the top of
the secondary.  Also, the secondary coil used with these experiments is a
full wound form of 25" in length x 6" in diameter. Wound with exceptional
motor wire(iso something or other) of 18 ga. and I figure it to be about
590 turns total winding.  And yes, I am using a bank of 15/60 modified
neons with two shunts removed from each secondary.  Like I say, the
primary simply needs retuned to suit the existing topload to give an
equal amount (length) of spark to suit whatever load is atop the
secondary at the time, if any.  The idea of parasitic capacitance does
intrigue me, and I wonder if it is the cause of this anomaly.  Where
would such capacitance originate?  And why would it allow such a vast
amount of tuning with varying toploads?   Thank you, Al.
On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 07:58:41 -0600 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
> <FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>
>

> Bart, Al, all,
>
> Are you sure that Al is using proper power input for his spark
> length?
> I thought he said he removed the shunts or something.  He may be
> using a lot more power than expected?   I wouldn't be surprised if
> he's
> using 7000 watts or 7000 VA.   For toroid-less coils, it's possible
> that
>
>      spark length (inches) = sqrt power input
>
> may be a suitable formula.  At least that's what I found using low
> powered tests.  I don't know if things will change at higher
> powers.
>
> I suspect that Al's coil is giving normal spark lengths for a
> toroid-less
> coil, and is not benefiting from the addition of a toroid for some
> reason,
> (such as quench failure, or a too-small toroid, etc.)  I didn't seem
> notice any overall toroid size (major diameter) mentioned in Al's
> recent
> posting  ?
>
> Cheers,
> John Freau
>
> --
> >
> >  Hi Al,
> >
> >  I can't find any reason why it does so well. Your basically
> saying that
> >  your coil can produce up to
> >  7 or 8 foot sparks with a tiny little screw as a top terminal. I
> can't find
> >  any reason why it does
> >  so well. But your sparklength based on watts is about where we
> would calc
> >  it (7.4 feet). I have no
> >  explanation why.
> >
> >  Take care,