Re: Multiple Questions

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi,

My replies are interspersed with your questions below.

> Original poster: "CJ Moore by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <wizard1234-at-home-dot-com>
>
> 1) Does the thickness of the wall in the secondary
> form affect anything? if yes
> then what and how. (my secondary uses irrigation
> pipe - very thick walled,
> about 1/2 inch pvc)

For hobby-level coiling, the thickness of the
secondary wall is of no consequence. Other design
factors are far more important.

> 4) Where do you find the disc, electrodes, and shaft
> for a RSG

I'm not aware of any "standard" components for RSGs.
All of the ones I've seen have been one-of-a-kind,
built from bench grinder motors, fan motors, electric
drills, angle grinders, etc.  Coilers can and have
pressed almost anything that rotates into service as
an RSG. I suggest you surf a few dozen web sites and
see for yourself what I'm talking about.

> 5) Is it acurate to say that you should have no more
> than 800 turns on a
> secondary.

No, I wouldn't say that.  I've seen designs calling
for anything from 200 turns to 2000 turns, and they
all worked. 1000 turns is a good figure to shoot for.
There's some info out now that about 1600 turns of
finer wire may be superior to about 1000 turns of
thicker wire on a given form. If I were going to wind
a new secondary soon, I'd try the 1600 turns thing.

> 6) What are the advantages/disadvantages to each
> type of primary coil. (this
> one will bring lots of discussion)

Of the three basic types (flat spiral, inverted cone,
and solenoid), the flat spiral is the simplest to
design and build, has less problems with overcoupling,
and provides maximum separation to discourage
secondary to primary strikes.

> 7) What are good prices for NST

Anything under $100.  Check e-bay.

> 8) Is it worth it to use more than 2 NST's to try
> and acheive higher current at
> a much lower voltage?

Yes.  I met one guy (on line) who is using 7 NSTs in
parallel!  I have used as many as three with no
particular problem.

> 9) I have run my previous coils for less than 30
> seconds at a time, many people
> have horror stories of things breaking, how long do
> you usually have to run a
> coil to mess up a NST? (medium sized coil, average
> components)

Impossible to say.  A well engineered coil could
probably run for hours at a stretch, with only brief
interruptions for spark gap cleaning.  I often run two
or three minutes at a time without any problems.

Best Regards,

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg