Re: Ballasting

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 5/30/01 5:56:30 PM Central Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> The TC output gets really frantic as the
> current goes up, and I'm concerned that a rogue
> streamer is going to reach across the garage & pop me
> if I turn the juice up any higher.
>
> Regards,
>
> Greg
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg

Hi Greg,

I've had the same good experience using a Lincoln 225 amp
arc welder as a ballast for my 10 kVA pig. I've set my welder
amperage selector at 225 (the max) and get massive 8 to 10
ft sparks that fill my claustrophobic 12X20 ft shop building at
only 6 to 8 kVA power inut, according to my panel meters.
BTW, I don't notice a whole lot of difference in the ouput sparks
once I turn the amperage selector to 135 amps or more.

I also worried about a "rogue streamer" with my setup so I
installed an RF grounded "chicken wire" Faraday shield between
myself, with the control panel, and the spark spouting monster.
Problem solved :-) Check it out at   <http://www.nex-dot-net/kilroy/david/>

Take Care,
David Rieben