Re: All pain no gain

Original poster: "Nathan Morris by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <themfam-at-home-dot-com>

Bart,
The finer details include a secondary 4.5 x 21, 19 inches of which are wound
with #30 mag wire, single build insulation  with
a wire spacing of .001.  First  turn of the primary has an  ID of 5.5 and it
is made of insulated THHN stranded #10AWG.  The spacing is .365 center to
center and was averaged using dial calipers.  The primary has a total of 23
turns.  The gap is blown and has 4 individually adjustable electrodes.  My
cap is (was) made up of 8 D6-30-20 .02uf 3KVWDC F-C-I  caps.  The body is
porcelain and they are (were) oil filled.  They are ebay specials and I have
no information on the manufacturer
but I have them set up for a total c of .01uf.  My torroid is dryer duct and
has an OD of 18 and a cord of 4.  My NST is a 7.5 kv 20 ma.
    About 30 minutes ago I was getting continuous 5 inch sparks with the
primary taped at 23 by laying a car antenna across the torroid and aiming it
at the screw that holds the switch plate on the garage wall. I doubt that
qualifies as a streamer.
One of the caps bled out and so here I am again.  Thanks for your concern
and for your excellent contribution to the list.  I am off to ebay to check
out better HV caps.
--Nate