RE: All pain no gain

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

Bart -

I ran the numbers for Nathan's coil in your Java program and came up with
the same outputs as the JHCTES program. It helped that I knew the answers
from the JHCTES program because your program is more complex. It is obvious
that the two programs are using the same calcs. One slight exception is in
the coil self capacitance calc. You are using a different Medhurst equation.
I adjusted the secondary terminal pf to allow for this slight difference.

One of the calcs thatI believe should be changed in your program is the one
for the sec wire insulation thickness. For Nathan's coil I enterred 1 mil
with zero for the spacing. This gave me the incorrect TPI and sec turns.
This was corrected when I entered an incorrect 2 mils. This also has a large
effect on the sec inductance.

You are having the problem I had with the JHCTES program over the more than
10 years of its existance. That is that coilers do not enter the correct
inputs that truly represent their coils. When they test their coils and find
something different they say the calcs don't work. The pri and the sec
capacitances are the biggest culprits. The capacitances of these two
parameters have a profound effect in tuning the TC system. This is why I
recommended that Nathan actually measure the pri capacitance.

The secondary capacitance is another matter. This is where Terry's E-Tesla6
program would be of help. However, this program like all programs suffers
from the fact that every time you add an input you increase the chance of
the user entering the wrong value. This is why the JHCTES Ver 3.2 program
uses only 8 inputs to determine if the system is in tune. This is the
absolute minimum required to find the critical tuning condition.

There is still a lot more to TC design. I hope that Nathan will not accept
the 15.52 pri turns I mentioned without verifying the actual sec TPI, pri
dimensions, etc, and entering these actual values in the TC programs. I was
not able to determine where Nathan strayed with the Java program to come up
with 25 pri turns.

John Couture