Solid State coil

Hi All,

I have been thinking about making a solid state disruptive coil out of a GM
HEI ignition coil with the iron core removed (so it runs as a "true" Tesla
coil).  If anyone is interested, I posted some schematic JPG and PDF data
sheets at:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/SolidStateCoil/

The GM coils run at ~10kHz at ~1kV so they are well matched for testing
SSgap ideas and such.  I am thinking it would be a good place to start in
all this Solid State Gap stuff.  The parts should be here later today so I
hope to get started real soon.  Beware that 10kHz Tesla coils are very
dangerous!!  You will feel 10kHz!!  Guess how I know this :-))

I am thinking of beating my own record since, of course, no one else can
:-)))))
http://www.powerlabs-dot-org/gmheicslr.htm

The SSgap should have much lower losses that may really help.  My original
GMHEICSLR setup had really poor wiring and stuff (which may have helped the
coil survive??).  It was also single shot system without the advantage of
streamer growth.  Should be interesting.  I am hoping if I can get one
section to work, higher voltage and currents can be obtained by simply
adding more sections sort of like we do with MMCs.  Time and testing well
tell...

Since most coils burn up about 30 to 50% of their energy in the gap, a low
loss SSgap could really do wonders for disruptive Tesla coils.  They could
also run "forever" without replacing gap parts.  Hopefully, a way can be
found to make them for not too much $$$.  However, it looks like they will
hit in the several hundred dollar area...

BTW - Hot-streamer-dot-com seems to be running a bit better today so the ISP
problems there may be fixed.  For awhile there, I just turned the server
off...  Also, the Tesla list server seems to be working fine again too. :-))

I'll try to keep you all posted on what I find.

Cheers,

	Terry