Re: Ganging 1256D's

Original poster: "John Crighton by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jcrighton-at-sia-dot-net.au>

----- Original Message -----
From: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Monday, 19 March, 2001 5:36 AM
Subject: Re: Ganging 1256D's

> Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

> Let's plug in some nunbers... we can use the standard transformer equation
> to determine the volts/turn for a given core area and operating frequency
> (from Eric Lowdon - "Practical Transformer Design Handbook", 2nd ed.,

Hello Bert and the group,
Bert, the above book, does it have any practical information on
saturable reactors. I am looking for a book that has practical
information and not excessively mathematical.

Variacs are great, but cost lots of money here in Sydney.
MOTs are free.
I was just wondering if anyone had experimented with ordinary
transformers by trying to make a saturable reactor out of them.
 A variable choke or poor mans variac/current controlling device.

I would like to do some reading on the subject of saturable
reactors but they only get a mention in the text books I have
seen so far with no practical information.
 I would like to know how much DC power can control
 how much AC power.
If you Bert or anyone has played with saturable reactors,
 I would like to know how you got on.
Regards,
John Crighton
Sydney