Re: Ganging 1256D's

Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

There are also some approaches using triacs and multiple wipers. This is an
attempt to solve the "shorted turn" problem that most variacs have.  That
is, when the wiper contacts two windings at the same time, you effectively
have a 1 turn secondary that is shorted.

I've also seen schemes using diodes that claim to solve the problem, mostly
because two diodes in series have a forward voltage drop of 1.4V, which is
greater than the mismatch voltage, so no current flows.

Subject: Re: Ganging 1256D's

> Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>