Re: VTTC provisional results

Original poster: "Herwig Roscher by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <herwig.roscher-at-gmx.de>

John Freau wrote:

> >  Why do you think that there is no space for improvements?
> I sort of look at the issue as I would when hammering a nail into
> a piece of wood.

John,

That's a nice analogy. Woody Woodpecker!  :-)

> I don't use any precautions.  I just set up the scope about 5 feet
> away from the coil, and use a piece of wire as an antenna to pick
> up the RF.
- Did you connect the case of your scope to the rf ground or to the
ground of the house wireing system?

> You'll see the RF envelope on the scope.
- This should be a perfect method for monitoring audiomodulation
as well.

> I just realized, if you want to get the typical long AC type sparks
I'm familiar with, you'll have to use just one of your phases, instead
of 3 phases.
- The problem was to find a suitable 1 phase HV tranny. In this
country the mains voltage is 230 V/50 Hz and the standard
breakers are 16 A. If you wanted more power, the only way
(besides having installed a new wall outlet) is to use the 400 V/ 3
phase system, which is standard in all buildings. So, when I came
across this 3 phase HV tranny, the way to go was obvious.

> Staccato would be hard to control with three phase power since
the power never goes to zero.
- That is correct, especially if you used a 6 pulse full wave bridge
rectifier.
Another drawback of 3 phase systems is that ballasting could be
difficult. Either you could use a 3 phase ballast at the primary side
of the transformer or a single ballast at the secondary side. But
this is HV....

Regards,

Herwig