RE: Tesla Coil Blunders

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

I don't think it's possible to use a frequency counter to measure the
frequency of an operating Tesla Coil, at least not a spark gap disruptive
coil.  A counter can only be used with a contunuous waveform, like when
exciting the primary or secondary with a function generator.  A digital
storage scope's measurement functions is probably the most accurate way to
measure a "live" secondary.

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA

>Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>
>Ralph -
>
>Terry has posted a lot of info on his web site regarding using a scope with
>his special antenna. It has been a long time since I have done this test
>which was to use a scope with a 1000 ohm resistor connected across the
cable
>for one of the scope channels. The TC should be operated at a voltage that
>gives a good scope trace which sometimes is hard to do. Of course, the
>antenna must not be too close to the TC. A frequency counter will give more
>precise results.
>
>John Couture

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 3/29/01 6:15:13 PM Central Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<< Only a few coilers
 test their coils for resonant frequency during actual TC operation using a
 scope or frequency counter.  >>

John,

Besides very carefully, how do I do this?

Cheers,
Ralph Zekelman