Re: 4.5amp Variac good enough?

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

<FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>

> In a message dated 2/27/01 9:46:00 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> writes:
>

> >  So i could use my 4.5 amp variac just plain w/o a PFC?
> >
> >  Very GOOD!!!!!!
> >
> >  matt
> >

> Matt,
>
> If your variac is the step up type, which outputs 0-140V, then
> this will cause the NST to draw more than 360VA, and more
> than 550VA without pfc.  The NST may actually draw 600 to
> 700VA, depending on the cap value, etc.  Reso, and LTR
> setup's tend to draw more power in general.  But the variac
> should still be OK, because they can handle twice their
> rated power (and even more) for short run times.
>
> My TT-42 coil uses an unmodified 12/30 NST, but it draws
> 700VA or so.  the old research coil (upon which the TT-42
> was based), drew 620 watts from a 12/30 NST, using a
> 0-140V step up variac, LTR cap, and pfc caps.
>
> John Freau

Hi John , Matt...

very true John ...   be careful Matt   I have Transco 12KV/30mA units and
they pull
7.2A each .... therefore a 4.5 A variac could be in trouble. I have seen a
draw of
30A with my setup of 4 Transco NST's and I use a 25A 140V variac and after
several
minutes of running, the Variac does get on the warm side.

Scot D