Re: Streamers longer than sparks?

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Guys,

On 28 Feb 01, at 7:57, Tesla list wrote:

> >I notice that with the fine MMC I got from Sundog that the coil I
> >built using a static air cooled spark gap and a 12,000 60ma NST
> >produces streamers about three feet long. I've noticed a spark to a
> >grounded object is quite a bit shorter.
> >
> >Anyone notice this too?
> >

> Hi Garry,
>
> I've seen this with my coil as well.... a 10/70 with a 6 gap TCBOR/RQ
> gap with vacuum quenching and a 26 nF. MMC.  I generally get three to
> four simultanious streamers of about three feet in length, yet when I
> draw a streamer to a grounded rod, it barely makes it to two feet.
> Mind you, the two footer is a thick, snarly, mean one!  Perhaps the
> shorter arc to ground is due to de-tuning....experts comment?
>

> 73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

I've seen it too. The case: a coil with very low Q in the primary and
a poor secondary as well. In all good coils, I've observed the
opposite.  I'm not saying anything bad about your coil - just
relating my experience.

Malcolm