Re: cap spec

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/28/01 1:23:22 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "bob golding by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <
> yubba-at-clara-dot-net>
>
> Hi All,
>    I found the spec on the ERO caps. These measurements were made by
> Paul Benham and were first posted on the TCBOUK list.
>
> 1)     value measured = 66.5nF (nominal value 68nF)
> 2)     Dissipation  factor  =  0.0015
> 3)    Working voltage = 1600 Vdc, 650 Vac
> 4)    Self inductance = 12nH,  (6 mm leads)
> 5)    Measured self resonance, with 18 mm leads at each end = 3.6Mhz
> 6)    dv/dt, VDUs = 2680
> 7)    Calculated self inductance from 1&5 = 29.4nH
>
> apologies if they have  been posted before.
>
> cheers
> bob golding

Hi Bob,
At first I was amazed that an extra 12 mm of lead at each end could double
the effective inductance. Perhaps this is the kind of thing Tesla was
referring to in his 1897 lecture & paper at NYAS when he said that as little
as 3/4" of extra wire could throw a resonant circuit out of tune.

Matt D.