Re: Small simple coil (beginner)

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Matt,
        I couldn't help chuckling on reading your post (no offence
intended!).

On 1 May 01, at 16:20, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "The Swami by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <devsibwarra-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> Hello
> I am a student in Sarnia Ontario,
> Im looking for a schematic for a simple coil that I can build and
> experiment with.
>
> I have grade 12 advance physics knowlege,
>
> Im looking to biuld one that wont arc more than an inch becuase I
> really dont know how to control the thing, but I am very interested in
> learning more.
>
> PLease reply to my personal e-mail or send a copy to my e-mail so the
> list can benefit too.
>
> Thanks
> -Matt

An inch of spark is what most people who've built a coil and have no
idea how to tune it usually get. So basically you could accomplish
your goal by winding any old secondary, any old primary and use a
spark plug for a gap. I do think you should aim for a loftier goal. a
6" spark is possible from a TC powered from an ignition coil.

Malcolm