Re: Cap W/ Electret

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Michael.Day-at-USPTO.GOV>

Greeting all,

I was wondering if any one has had any experience with
home made capacitors using an electrets for the dielectric?
A typical electret is a dielectric, usually a polar polymer such as
polycarbonate or acrylic resins, that has been heated to its
softening temperature, and an electric field impressed across
the material.  On cooling, the electric field is frozen in the dielectric.
Such a capacitor is somewhat unusual in that it tends to charge
itself.  (Watch out, they can bite.)

I've been considering making one for my coil, and was wondering
if anyone had any experience with them, or had any comments
regarding utility, for example, failure rate of polycarbonate or acrylic
resins.

-MHD