RE: Cap W/ Electret

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

I see a couple of problems.

First, polycarbonate and acrylic are fairly lossy dielectrics compared
to polyethylene or polypropylene.

More importantly, by "freezing" a static charge into the dielectric, it
would then have a DC bias.  If an unmodified sheet of the material had a
nominal static breakdown voltage rating of 10kV and you imparted a 5kV
bias into it, then it could only withstand a 5kV AC oscillation, whereas
an unmodified sheet could withstand 10kV..

I'm not sure what the goal of the electret is in this application.
You're not going to be getting any "free energy".

Gary Lau
MA, USA