Re: E-Tesla6, was RE: Sphere/Toroid Comparison Chart

Hi Peter,

At 10:44 AM 5/8/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Terry,
>      I've been looking at E-Tesla6 and noticed that it requires as input
>the "Measured Secondary Inductance". I was sort of expecting to have to
>enter the "number of turns" somewhere, something more like ACMI which takes
>as input the dimensions of the coil and wire and then calculates inductance.
>
>If I am going to use E-Tesla6 to estimate the Fres of a coil _before_ I
>build it do I use Wheeler: "R**2 * N**2 / (9*R + 10*H)" formula for
inductance?
>How accurate is that anyway, what about Lundin's formula?

The above calculation is fine.  I just didn't want to add a bunch more
variables to be entered and figured most people would already know the
secondary inductance or could calculated is separately easily enough.

>I'm in the process of building 3 coils (approx 4x12, 3.5x15, 3x18) each
>hopefully with identical Fres (with the same 2x8 toroid), so I'ld like to
>use E-Tesla6 to find the exact winding length and number of turns to get
>identical Fres. Then I'll use ACMI to adjust the height of each one to get
>exactly the same K (of 1/7) for each. Then see if there is any difference
>in operation.  Not that I expect there to be any, this is just for fun,
>after all its a hobby(!).

Neat!  Be looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Cheers,

	Terry