Re: Counterpoise/Faraday wall?

Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2001 4:58 PM
Subject: Counterpoise/Faraday wall?

> Original poster: "Matt S. by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<matt777777-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> Hi again..
> A couple more easy questions:
>
> 1. Due to the (indoor)location I may be restricted to, a long ground line
> seems inevitable..   I was wondering if a 4x4 sheet of 1/4" mesh (hardware
> cloth I have laying around) under the coil would work, or is this wishful
> thinking?
> (12kv/60ma).... (actually I could fan-fold the whole roll of the stuff
under
> the coil)..

the 4x4 foot sheet will work quite well.  I suspect that as long as the
radius of the sheet is on the order of the height of the topload above it,
it will work well.  That is, if your topload sits, say 2 feet above the
ground plane, then the ground plane should be 4 feet across, give or take.

> 2. If I were to want to 'shield' nearby equipment, would stapling grounded
> 1/4" hardware cloth on the wall, or making a partition/divider out of it
> help at all? (i.e not a full cage).
> (no lines runing through/by/around it)

Maybe, maybe not.  It depends on what sort of interference you want to
shield from, and even if did know that, these things are very empirical
(i.e. try it and find out).  A grounded mesh (even something like the 4"
reinforcing mesh used in concrete) will work nicely as an "arc/streamer"
barrier. but isn't going to do a heck of a lot for RFI.