Re: Very High Mutal inductance

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 5/10/01 8:21:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "Erik Schulz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <
> gradient-at-mail.utexas.edu>
>
>    I was thinking about the old days when I had problems with racing arcs
> on my secondary.  I was wondering why they were caused.  Is the air breaking
> down around the coil from the high emf with the help of the pvc secondary?
> If so the secondary could be immersed into a large bath of oil.  This would
> prevent arcing along the secondary and allow higher coupling before
> dielectric breakdown.
>
>    By faraday's law we would get a higher emf with the given higher
> magnetic flux linkage.  So what would be the advantage of this?  I'm glad
> you
> asked. :o)  My hope is *longer* more wispy streamers but what would happen
> if the toroid was increased in size, thereby decreasing the voltage gradient
> along the surface?
>
>    Another thought is since the mutual inductance is increased, shouldn't
> more energy be transferred per cycle from the primary to the secondary?
> Which would mean less total current through the spark gap.
>
> Just some thoughts,
> Erik Schulz
>
> CS and PHY
> University of Texas at Austin

Hi Erik, All!
        Tesla, in Pat.No.514168 of 6 Feb 1894 q.v., shows a system in which
the capacitor, primary, secondary, and even a spark gap are immersed in oil.
The oil bath is cooled by pumping it through a coiled pipe in a coolant
reservoir ( heat exchanger). The speed of oil flow would determine the speed
of rotation of the metallic turbine spark gap.