Toroid Eddy Current?

Original poster: "Ray Haynes by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <ray.haynes-at-home-dot-com>

Doesn't the toroid form a single shorted turn that would dampen the
secondary by lowering the Q? It seems that the toroid is close enough to the
secondary to have an effect. An interesting test could be performed if
someone had a working coil with an identical spare toroid. That spare toroid
could be cut with a band saw radially toward the center stopping couple of
inches from the middle. Probably 3 or 4 (maybe more) equally spaced cuts
would be adequate and maybe dabs of epoxy to stabilize the cuts. Then
install the modified toroid, retune the coil and compare the results with
the original toroid.

Maybe I'm off base but I have never seen this discussed and if the Q of the
material for the secondary coil form matters, seems this just might.

Ray