Re: The Sigma-6 Coil

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi Chris,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> >The size of the coil I'm not real sure about (thinking along the lines of
> >Chuck Corrans big coil),
>
> Got a URL on that one? I'm not familier with it.

 http://www.execpc-dot-com/~ccurran/coil5.html
Look at the bottom photo to get an idea. Your coil will be bigger, but
gives an idea of a 28kW coil.

> Well, depending on it's total size, that's a great idea. It also solves
> several problems of making the secondary in the first place, and allows for
> greater experimentation. Different modules of varying gauges, and spacings
> can be made for versitility in experimentation.

Yes, exactly.

> Great, but if I'm going to make it in modular sections, they would be at
> least 3' in diameter, most likely of wood or UHMW. Maybe even Lexan.
> hmmm thoughts?

List the choices and pick the one that suits the coil. I personally would
keep weight down as much as is
practical. Keep in mind the forms can be made of different thickness
(strength) keeping the top sections as
well as overall weight minimum and preventing top heavy conditions (but
don't forget about the top terminal
weight and supporting mechanisms. ie., if the secondary is to be used to
support it, you'll need to look at
the structural integrity in greater detail). The reason I say "if" is
keeping in mind you may be able to
support the top terminal from the ceiling if this is to be run in the
facility. Keeping the top terminal
"super light" simplifies the whole system. Once coil size is actually
determined, the top terminal would be
the place to start. But those who have built these super huge coils can
give much better advice than I can.

> 4 pins, each about 2" long should work well. In making the modules short and
> fat (3' X 3' or so) they become more stable.

Yes, that was also my first thought, but there may be other methods more
stable (but probably not as simple).

> Each connection can be just inside the diameter of the coilform, but between
> the endplates of adjacent modules, recessed. It could be rather simple I
> would think, maybe just a bullet connector.

Yes, part of the beauty is that end plates on each section are simple. The
connector should only be slightly
larger than the secondary wire size. So in essense, it doesn't need to be
all that big and can be contained
to a relatively small area of each endplate simplifying the connection
method and possibilities.

Take care,
Bart