Re: Will I kill my MOTs?

In a message dated 5/19/01 5:14:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hi list!
>  I decided to upgrade my coil a bit, and first thing was the power supply.
>
>  intend to use two MOTs back-to-back with center grounded.  I rigged them
up
>  with a 16A breaker (at 240v) and it made a nice little spark - I
accidently
>  knocked one of the wires and it sprang back, drawing the arc to over a
foot -

>  that scared me!  Anywayz, I am running them with no ballast.  They don't
> trip
>  the breaker but am I going to kill them over time by running them like
this?

>  I have another, smaller, MOT that I could use as ballast but presumably
this

>  would reduce the power somewhat.  Just wondering whether it's absolutely
>  necessary to use it.
>  Thanks
>  Henry Hallam

Henry,

It's a matter of heat build up.  If the MOT's get too hot the insulation
can burn up, and the MOT will be destroyed.  Generally, they can
withstand a lot of heat.  I've run mine so hot, you'd burn your hand
if you touched the core (power off), yet the wire did not discolour.
Discolouration of the wire is a good indication of too much heat
over time.  Smelling or smoking, is another strong indicator    :)

John Freau