Rotary missfiring.....

Original poster: "david baehr by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dfb25-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Howdy, As I was doing a search on the tesla page, i ran across a mailing from
Ed Sonderman about having problems with his rotary gap missfiring,not running
smoothly,etc. This was the exact problem with my old system. I had only a
rotary and the electrode gap was set to just miss.....when first bringing up
the variac, the gap would fire, but erraticly.I would let it run like that for
a while, then it would smooth out, then I could turn up the power the rest of
the way. I had a welder current limit with no resistance, tried using some in
series but that did not help,Had to keep gaps as tight as possible. Now that
I'm building a new coil, I got the feeling this condition may come up again.
Was there a solution to this problem????, If it was posted I could not find it
.No way I could use series gaps with the rotary....don't understand how other
coiler's do it, H E L P  thankyou!!!!!