Re: I'm going to need help with a 34kV power supply DC?

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Bob,
In my beginnings of testing the triggered gap i ran a rectified 12/30
nst
using a pulse width\frequency modulating controller. After some trouble
getting the strung up rectifier to work right (my fault, not the
circuits) I finally got the triggered pulse to fire and quench at a rate
fed by the driver.
I messed around for a short time until my driver failed, i ran from low
enough to hear, up to a nice musical scream? The driver i used was
suggested to the list for driving auto coil coils, it was on a home brew
site and was called "the time machine". Terry stuck it on "hot-streamer"
as trigdrver (i believe) It worked really well. The only thing was that
there seemed to be some "float" to the triggered pulse, I was thinking
that it had something to do with the short pulses running through the
windings of the coil?
It would be nice to get a little more research into using this type of
driver on triggering a dc coil, I would like to see something using
largish SCR's that maybe just discharges a charged capacitor for the
triggered pulse. Getting the triggered arc to shut off would be tricky,
maybe back to back scr's or something?
The benefit might be in the nice sharp pulse, steady discharge power to
the arc, clean shut down. I do want to get a nice system together so i
can switch from sync. triggered to rectified dc and variable pulse
width\frequency modulated driver, all on the same coil.
Keep us posted,
Marc M.