Re: TSG vs RSG

Hi Jason,

On 5 Nov 2001, at 16:29, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jason by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>

> Hi all,
>
> I realise that I might be flamed or something for saying this, but anyway
> just hear me out...
>
> I recently finished my 200BPS sync rotary gap. It wails like a banshee and
> when phase set at exactly the right point the streamer output is around 3.5'
> point to point, which I believe to be pretty good for 10/80 neon. My cap is
> a 2x LTR (35nF) and my secondary is a standard 4" form. When I re-phase it
> to run at 100BPS, the streamer output is decreased to about 3 feet, but this
> can be remedied by removing about 5nF from the cap and retuning. The spacing
> on the RSG is currently 0.7mm.
>
> I recently built a quick-ish triggered gap. It is basically three 10mm brass
> rods set about 30KV apart in a plastic formed U-shape. My ignition coil
> (sorry not a GMHEIC :) is triggered by carbon brush contacts that have been
> mounted on my 200 break rotary touching a piece of copper pipe for each
> connection, so in effect the ignition coil is running at the same breakrate
> and phase break as my rotary. I use a 22uF PFC cap in series. When I fire it
> up, the firing sounds very regular, and looks it too. Sometimes power arcs
> form so I added a vaccum cleaner and a pair of bent pieces of acrylic to
> turn it into a triggered vortex gap.
>
> The strange thing is, that even with this reliable sounding and regular
> firing gap, I only get about 2.5' output max - which is surprising and
> dissappointing. Now I am nowhere near as experienced at coiling as people
> like Marc but it seems to me that triggered gaps are not really the way to
> go - at least not for coils that are running at a significant voltage (i.e.
> enough to break down their own gap). I always assumed that the losses from a
> TSG would be higher than from a sync. rotary and this seems to have proved
> me right.

Without having built such a gap yet, I can only go on reason and
evidence I've seen from Dr Rzsesotarski's recent measurements. My
opinion is that a TSG will be lossier because of the long arc channel.
The fact that it is reported as being brighter and louder than other
types of gap speaks volumes.

Regards,
malcolm