Re: Duty Cycle

Original poster: "Jonathan Peakall by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jpeakall-at-mcn-dot-org>

Ted,

Well, I once let my coil go for 30 min continous, on full power, just to see
if the SW caps I was using at the time would take it. I often run it for 5
mins or more, if the occasion warrants (testing, lots of oohs and ahhs).
This was on a 3.5"x14" secondary, 15/60 NST, vacum static gap. The caps got
a little warm, the gap was cool. Silly, I know, but I just wondered what
would happen... The coil logged 22.8 hrs, as recorded by an hour meter on
the PSU before I dismantled it for parts for my new coil in progress. I
finally did kill a couple of the caps, champange bottles aren't too good for
SW caps. Arcs right through the glass do look cool in the dark though...

Jonathan Peakall