RE: First light for an old coiler

Original poster: "Dave Kyle by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-kyleusa-dot-com>

Mark,

Thank you for the reply.

I assumed that being such a short coil higher powers would simply cause it
to arc to the strike ring or primary and in testing this seemed to be the
case. Can this be controlled?

I suspected as much with the over-coupling and will do some testing this
week to determine the effect of raising the secondary relative to the
primary. The big question is how will going to a secondary that is nearly
twice as long impact over-coupling?

I am curious if over-coupling can be related to the length of the secondary
or its proximity to the primary. My primary inner diameter is 10 inches
which provides two inches of clearance to the secondary. That would seem an
average distance based on my reading. On the other hand this test secondary
is decidedly on the short side for a 6 inch coil being only 16 inches tall.
Is over-coupling simply that the entire secondary is engulfed in the primary
field and a longer secondary by design might be somewhat immune to the
racing secondary arcs typical to over-coupling?

Dave

Dave Kyle
Austin, TX USA