RE: First light for an old coiler

Original poster: "Stolz, Mark by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mark.Stolz-at-st-systems-dot-com>

>Original poster: "Dave Kyle by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><dave-at-kyleusa-dot-com>
>
>Mark,
>
>Thank you for the reply.
>
>I assumed that being such a short coil higher powers would simply cause it
>to arc to the strike ring or primary and in testing this seemed to be the
>case. Can this be controlled?

Somewhat.  You can put a spacer between the top of the coil and the topload.
Before I killed it, I was using a small can (pint I think) of urethane as a
spacer.  That approx. 4" increase in distance from the secondary made the
sparks travel more outward than downward.  The other thing you can do is use
a second smaller toroid placed under your main toroid.  This will suppress
breakout until the voltage gets high enough to breakout from the larger top
toroid (I think).  Some pictures of my little TC running with the can
spacer( can be seen at:
http://users2.ev1-dot-net/~nmyreality/tesla/J010910/index.html

>I suspected as much with the over-coupling and will do some testing this
>week to determine the effect of raising the secondary relative to the
>primary. The big question is how will going to a secondary that is nearly
>twice as long impact over-coupling?

I don't think coupling is affected by the length of the secondary.  I may be
wrong, but I think the coupling only takes place at the bottom of the
secondary which would indicate to me that the length of the secondary would
be irrelevant.  If this is wrong somebody please correct me.

Mark Stolz
Houston, TX