Re: Secondary preparation and capping

Original poster: "R Heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

on 11/18/01 3:57 PM, Tesla list at tesla-at-pupman-dot-com wrote:

> Original poster: "Patrick Bloofon by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <transactoid-at-home-dot-com>
>
> I am currently in the process of building my first coil. What I'm wonder is
> how necessary is it to sand down the secondary before winding it? My PVC has
> been sitting in my basement for a few years, so it's good and dry.  If I
> just cover it in a layer of polyurathane, do I *really* need to sand out
> every little bump, and the letters (which are red, not black)? This just
> seems like a lot of extra work, and I don't see how it would make that much
> of a difference.
>
> Secondly, does it make any difference where the caps (as in the plugs) for
> the secondary are placed? I don't have access to the tools necessary to make
> nice round circles to plug the ends with, so would just sticking PVC endcaps
> on be acceptable?
>
> Thanks,
> "Steadily getting more excited about completing his first coil"
> Patrick.

To quickly remove printing from your pvc core wipe it clean with 1pt denat.
alcohol & 3pt acetone and a paper towel. To cap your coil I use a 3" pvc cap
inside my 4" pipe core. I sand or turn the cap to fit. I drill a pole in the
center of the bottem cap to just fit a 1/2" pipe nippel with a small hole
saw. I then tap the hole with a 1/2npt tap so I can mount My coil to a
base.I glue the cap inside with the hallow down. This allows me to add a
short piece of 3" later if I nead to elivate my coil above the primary. I
cap the top in a like manner with a 1/8" hole in the center glued hallow
down. The two holes make pivot centers to rotate my coil when I wind the
coil. After I have finished coating my coil I plug the top hole with epoxy
as I glue My "electric fence insulator" on top to hold my toroid in place
with a 1/4" toilet bolt that just fits the hole of the insulator.
  Robert  H
       other insulators work, but the hole is larger and require more epoxy