Re: entire secondary

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 11/24/01 8:19:39 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Subj:entire secondary
> Date:11/24/01 8:19:39 PM Pacific Standard Time
> From:    tesla-at-pupman-dot-com (Tesla list)
> To:    tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

> <Kidd6488-at-aol-dot-com>
>
> I've got a few questions about my unbuilt secondary.
>
> 1) My Idea was based on transportability (is that a word?) I want to be able
> take the whole thing apart and move it around. My idea was to have an endcap
> bolted to the pri/sec base, letting me just set the secondary in the cap. I
> would also be able to add shims to raise or lower the coil.  I see no
> problems
> with this, except for grounding.  I had a few thoughts.
>      a) have the bottom of the coil (the actual bottom) covered with a copper
>
> ring that would make contact with another copper ring in the end cap to make
> the connection.
>      b) a metal tab on the outside of the bottom of the sec. that would touch
>
> a metal tab on the cap.
>      c) a wire that I would need to manually connect with a heavy duty
> connector
>
> Same Idea with the toroid. Maybe a threaded rod to raise and lower the
> toroid.
>
> 2) Is sealing the PVC pipe with PU before winding necessary? I have heard
> that
> you should put some PU on, and while it is wet, wind the coil, so that it
> acts
> like a glue...
>  Comments?
>
> 3) I am using a 12/60, what size form would be best, 4.5" or 6"? The mag wire
> have is #20, so I am leaning towards 6" so I can get the most turns without
> exceeding the H/D ratio. (4:1 ???)
>
> Thank you,

> Jonathon Reinhart

Jonathon,

I have not sealed any of my secondaries prior to winding.  Just clean the form
well and make sure it is dry.  I did seal the completed coil with polyurethane,
many coats, on the 6.0" secondary and I used the pour-on epoxy on the 3.0"
coil.

I would suggest the 6.0" form.  I wound my with 28" of # 22 wire.  I would go
with 30" of # 20.

Ed Sonderman