Re: Question on Transformers

Original poster: "R Heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

on 10/30/01 9:56 PM, Tesla list at tesla-at-pupman-dot-com wrote:

> <TeraJoule-at-aol-dot-com>
>
> Hello.
>
> I am new to coiling, and I am looking to build a small coil first.  I
> looked to my high school physics department today.  They have an unlabeled
> transformer that takes D.C. and makes it A.C.  I put 7 volts at 3 amps into
> it and the resulting voltage was able to jump a 1cm-2cm air gap.  I am
> assuming it produces over 3,000 volts because of the dielectric break-down of
> air.  My problem lies in the fact that I do not know the cycles per second or
> even the exact voltage it produces.  I was wondering if perhaps there were a
> few assumptions I could make to determine the capacitor size I would need for
> the TC.  Thank you very much for your time.
>
> ~Alex

You may be seriously under rating the voltage. I arc 3 cm with 15kv ac ,that
is 22kv peak voltage. The frequency of your ac dosent mater at all. You
prabibly have obout 1600 hz frequency. That is common with dc to ac high
voltage  sources.
 Robert H