Re: Question for John about the 5-125B and the 810

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cwillis-at-guilford.edu>

Hey Rick,

Your 810 will do fine in a tesla coil, I have used them before and they work
great.  You got a really good deal on that new tube, by the way.  I don't have
any experience with the 4E27A, but from the specs in the RCA book it looks like
a potentially good one.  Probably quite similar to an 813 for tesla coiling
purposes, but it has an even higher (4 kV) maximum plate voltage.  About the
capacitor:  a good capacitor in a conventional coil will be a good capacitor in
a tube coil as well.  This includes MMC's (my favorite in both tube and
conventional coils).  Micas probably come to mind because of their historical
use in big tube circuits, but (in my experience) they have no advantages over
an MMC and are dreadfully hard to find at a good price these days.

Carl

"Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
10/30/2001 08:08 PM MST