Re: containing the secondary

Original poster: "R Heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

on 10/30/01 8:09 PM, Tesla list at tesla-at-pupman-dot-com wrote:

> <FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>
>
> In a message dated 10/30/01 7:17:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
>
>> i was wondering how other coilers keep their secondaries from tipping
>> over. unless you have a pretty well balenced top load i can see it
>> toppling over. or on even a somewhat windy day it being blown over.
>
> Matt,
>
> I install a rigid wooden post onto the bottom of my secondaries.
> The post fits into a wooden socket in the base stand for the coil.
> A thumb-screw tightens against the post, and holds the secondary
> post at any desired height, to allow for easy coupling (height)
> adjustments.  The post can be made from plastic pipe if prefered.
>
> Arcing between primary and secondary usually means the coils
> are too close to each other.  Usually 1" of spacing is sufficient.
> If the arcing occurs only on the secondary, the coils are probably
> overcoupled, and the secondary needs to be raised.  Arcing on
> the secondary can also occur for other reasons such as mistuning,
> or over-powering the coil.
>
> Cheers,
> John

I use a PVC pipe cap one size smaller backwards inside the base of my
secondary. You will have to sand it or turn it to fit. I drill a hole with a
hole saw small enough to tap threads for a plastic pipe nippel in the center
of the cap and thread it. I cut a hole in my TC base to slip a nippel
through. after assembly I cut the nipple off below my base and glue a
plastic cap flush on the cut end. When ever I take it down I just unscrew
the nipple and it is ready to transport. Screw the nipple tight at assembly
and nothing falls,all ready to fire up.
    Robert H