Re: containing the secondary

Original poster: "Mark Broker by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

>Original poster: "Matt Skidmore by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <fox-at-woozle-dot-org>

>i was wondering how other coilers keep their secondaries from tipping
>over. unless you have a pretty well balenced top load i can see it
>toppling over. or on even a somewhat windy day it being blown over.

I had that problem... once.  every so slight of a gust of wind, and my
secondary toppled over!  Fortunately, nothing was damged, aside from a ding
in the drier-duct toroid....

I had a 6.5" thin-wall PVC secondary, with 1/2" PP end caps.  I tapped a
1/4-20 hole on the bottom of the secondary, and used a 1/4-20 brass machine
screw to hold the
secondary to the primary base.  To attach the toroid, I initially used a 3"
PVC end cap with a 3" long 1/4-20 brass machine screw to hold the toroid.
I zip-tied the cap to the PP
cap on the secondary (even hot glue didn't stick to the PP).  After awhile,
I decided it was too rickety, and "upgraded."  I cut and turned a 6.5"D
plate out of 1" acrylic (it was
available).  I made a 1/2-20 brass threaded rod (lathe, lots of cutting
fluid, slowest speed, ear plugs) and some brass nuts (flattened round stock
with a mill), since round stock
was available, and I didn't want to spend $20 to purchase the rod and nuts.
 I attached the plate to the secondary using four 1/4-20 plastic machine
screws.  The end result is
that the entire secondary won't move, even it being dragged over bumpy
floors :)

<snip>

Mark Broker
The Geek Group's Chief Engineer