RE: KVA Model 9J

Hi Justin,

I saw the 9J in Denver.  It is built really really well and super nice!
All top of the line stuff.  Looked like they did everything right...

Jeff previously told of the coil (I hope it's not a secret now :-)))

http://www.pupman-dot-com/listarchives/1999/October/msg00408.html

If it is firing at 480 BPS at 20kV firing voltage with 0.2uF primary caps,
we can calculate an input power of 19.2kV.  The controller is designed for
20kVA

Using John's formula, it should give 19.6 foot arcs which it does.

So no magic.  Just great design, construction, parts...  The transformer is
10kVA operated at 2X that power which is probably just fine considering the
duty cycle of a TC.  It is one of those coils that is just perfectly built.
 I see that Bill's site states it is 5kVA which means he might have been
using a 5kVA pig.  Back in 1981, measuring the input power of a coil was
not nearly so clear as it is today so maybe those old numbers were a bit
off ;-)

Jeff's version of the model 9 beefed it up and made some changes in light
of newer in that it has a larger toroid, beefier primary circuit, and a
higher BPS rate.  Seems to have worked perfectly.  "I" would have gone to
120 BPS with 4X the primary cap, but Jeff's seems to work OK anyway ;-)))

Cheers,

	Terry