Re: Some capacitor questions

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 10/19/01 9:13:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> What is the difference between pF uF, and the others? If there was just a
> site that tells conversions, that is all I would need, since I know what
> pico, micro and the lot mean.

Hi Jon,
        According to my grandson's 6th grade math book:
deci   (d)=0.1 =10^-1
centi  (c)=0.01 =10^-2
milli  (m)=0.001 =10^-3
micro (u)=0.000001=10^-6
nano   (n)=0.000000001=10^-9
pico    (p)=0.000000000001=10^-12
Deka   (D)=10 =10^1
Hecto (H)=100 =10^2
Kilo    (K)=1000 =10^3
Mega (M)=1000000 =10^6
Giga  (G)=1000000000 =10^9
Tera  (T)=1000000000000 =10^12
In older textbooks, capacitors are sometimes shown as mfd=microfarad,
mmfd=picofarad or uufd=picofarad. These are the only exceptions I am aware of
to the above table, and apply only to capacitors.
Hope this helps.

Matt D.