Re: Some capacitor questions

Original poster: "R Heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

on 10/19/01 7:07 AM, Tesla list at tesla-at-pupman-dot-com wrote:

> Original poster: "bdsabds sadgsdgsda by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <fdgahbdfhbfdb-at-juno-dot-com>
>
> What is the difference between pF uF, and the others? If there was just a
> site that tells conversions, that is all I would need, since I know what
> pico, micro and the lot mean.
> I see how capacitors do their job, but I don't understand how they are
> charged by weaker power sources and how they get discharged in a circuit.
> Also, what makes some capacitors discharge all their energy at once, or
> slowly over time?
> Thanks,
> Jon
> GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
> http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/web/.

Jon;  .000 001 = 1uf,.000 000 001 = nf, .000 000 000 001 = pf. A copacitor
starts charging with high current and becomes an open circuit as it gets
charged or discharged. The resistance or impedance of the charge or
discharge circuit determins how fast the process will take . Time =
Resistance x capacitance. In one Tc (timeconstant) a capacitor will charge
63% of the applied voltqe, or discharge. In 3 Tc a capacitor is nearly
charged or discharged. So a low current source can charge any size capacitor
if enough time is allowed.
    Robert H