Flyback

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <A123X-at-aol-dot-com>

How much power could I expect from a flyback driven by a single transistor
circuit? I've done some coiling but stopped over the summer but now I want to
build a small high efficiency twin coil. My goal is 12" sparks between the
coils which I calculated to need about 40-50VA which using the addapted version
of power to possible spark length out formula of (VA/2)sqrt times 3.4 could
give me as much as 17" at 50VA, leaving room for inefficiency and still able to
produce 12" sparks. My original idea was to use an OBIT but limit the power to
40watts with a flourescent light ballast. I then decided that a flyback might
be good because it could be battery operated for complete self containment and
would use the full potential of the transformer while the OBIT would kinda be
wasting its ability. So basically could I expect at least 40 watts from a
flyback?

Mark