Re: MMC Concern

On 6 Sep 2001, at 12:19, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jason by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>

> Hi Rick,
>
> These sound very much like the capaciors out of a microwave. It may be
> possible to use a number of them for a TC primary circuit but if they use
> LDPE as a dielectric then they will be pretty lossy, and may even explode.

Correction: LDPE is one of the lowest loss dielectrics you can use. I
am unaware of any commercial capacitors using it. It has a rather low
melting point and will "crack" to a rather smelly oily substance if
subjected to corona. I used to build and run dry-fired caps which
used LDPE. They were extended foil types and performed extremely well
given the internal corona losses.

Malcolm