Re: Coupling

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi Ben.

I use a flat primary for everything.

Use anywhere from 0 to 15 degrees of coupling and you'll never have to worry
about it. There is a factor called "K", this is the "coefficient of
coupling". In other words, this number tells you how much of the primary
coil's magnetic field "couples" or "gets into" the winding of the secondary
coil. There is a magic coupling coefficient that you should shoot for, but I
forgot it. I know that coiler Gary Lau knows it.......

A helix primary has a very high coupling coefficient, probably too high. Flat
primaries are the way to go for big coils, and small coils could possibly
benefit from tighter coupling.

A flat primary coil has a relatively "loose" coupling compared to the "tight"
coupling of a helically wound primary.

Research the archives at www.pupman-dot-com.

Cya, have a good one.

Justin Hays