Fan Controller and Variac differences

Original poster: "Dan Olson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dan__olson-at-hotmail-dot-com>

What is the difference between a fan controller and a variac as it pertains
to running a neon sign transformer?  I am running an oil burner transformer
with a fan controller right now in my testing of the plasma tube for my
laser, and it seems to be working quite well in that job.  I am going to
switch to a neon sign transformer as soon as I can, but I would like to know
whether it is a terribly bad idea to be running it with a fan controller, as
I DO NOT want to burn that up because of the difficulty in getting one
around here.  Thanks a lot for any help you can give me.