re: silly question

Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>

I'm not making much progress (lot of other more important things than TC'ing
lately) but I am making a mechanical transformer coil winding machine. By
mechanical I mean that is uses gears and lead screws to position the wire
while the bobbin turns to take it up. When I get it finished and have wound
a coil I'll try to post some pictures.

On the other hand Terry Fritz has made an electro-mechanical one (stepper
motor to turn the lead screw) and he has pictures of it somewhere in his
web page.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/Winder/winder.html

I would appreciate if anyone that has taken appart an NST could supply the
NST ratings and the dimensions of the steel core that goes through the
coils. There seems to be a large difference between the core cross section
used for a shunted/current-limited NST verses that used for non-shunted/non-
current-limited power transformers and so the standard engineering equations
and table for designing a power transformer are not quite right for an NST.

-Peter Lawrence.