RE: Input power

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

The answers depend somewhat upon whether you're using a static or rotary
gap.  I'll assume a static gap.

Going from a 15/30 to 15/90 power supply will definitely increase your spark
length without changing anything else.  You're correct, the cap will charge
to gap-breakdown voltage faster, so your "bang rate" or BPS will increase.

The energy per bang will remain the same, but since there will be more bangs
per second, the power will be greater.  This also means that the RMS current
through the cap will be greater and puts a higher stress on the cap, even
though the charging voltage is the same.  This gets into the technical
definition of power vs. energy, an old thread that I hope will not
resurface...

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA